Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rough Days


I have been having a lot of those lately. It's been hectic, and money is tight. It's not always easy doing the single parent thing.

But anyway, I came home tonight, after a rough day, that just got worse. I was short with Giuliana, and irriated all the way around. I tried time after time to chill out, and not be so aggrivated. It never happened. She goes to bed and I come to check my email and read this.
_______________________________________________________
This morning, I am going to step over the laundry and pick you up and take you to the park to play.

This morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink and let you teach me how to put that puzzle of yours together.

This afternoon, I will unplug the TV and keep the computer off and sit with you in the backyard and blow bubbles.

This afternoon, I will not yell once, even a tiny grumble, when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck and I will buy you one if he comes by.

This afternoon, I won't worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or second guess every decision I have made where you are concerned.

This afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies, and I won't stand over you trying to fix them.

This afternoon, I will take you to McDonald's and buy each of us a Happy Meal so you can have both toys.

This evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story about how you were born and how much I love you.

This evening, I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry.


This evening, I will let you stay up late while we sit on the porch and count all the stars.

This evening, I will snuggle beside you for hours, and miss my favorite TV show.

This evening when I run my fingers through your hair as you pray, I will simply be grateful that God has given me the greatest gift ever given.
I will think about the mothers and fathers who are searching for their missing children, the mothers and fathers who are visiting their children's graves instead of their bedrooms, and mother and fathers who are in hospital rooms watching their children suffer senselessly, and screaming inside that they can't handle it anymore.

And when I kiss you goodnight I will hold you a little tighter, a little longer. It is then that I will thank God for you and ask Him for nothing except one more day.

______________________________________________________
I bolded the sections that really got to me.. the ones that make this thing ring true.

It brough tears to my eyes, and I jumped up from the computer chair and went and got Giuliana out of bed, with tears in my eyes I told her over and over again how much I loved her and I was sorry for being upset with her tonight. I must have hugged her a million times, and kissed her too. She's so sweet. She said " I know that Momma".

I really couldn't have asked God for a better child or a sweeter gift. I love her, pieces.

1 comment:

Call Me Q said...

what a wonderful post sweetheart.